Re: Software vs. Hardware RAID Data

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008, Mark Wong wrote:

Hi all,

We started an attempt to slice the data we've been collecting in
another way, to show the results of software vs. hardware RAID:

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/HP_ProLiant_DL380_G5_Tuning_Guide#Hardware_vs._Software_Raid

The angle we're trying to show here is the processor utilization and
i/o throughput for a given file system and raid configuration.  I
wasn't sure about the best way to present it, so this is how it looks
so far.  Click on the results for a chart of the aggregate processor
utilization for the test.

Comments, suggestions, criticisms, et al. welcome.

it's really good to show cpu utilization as well as throughput, but how about showing the cpu utilization as %cpu per MB/s (possibly with a flag to indicate any entries that look like they may have hit cpu limits)

why did you use 4M stripe size on the software raid? especially on raid 5 this seems like a lot of data to have to touch when making an update.

David Lang