Re: Slow query with a lot of data

Well, you're getting the database to read the entire contents of the domain_categories table in order. That's 12 million rows - a fair amount of work.

You may find that removing the "user = 1337" constraint doesn't make the query much slower - that's where you get a big win by clustering on domain. You might also want to cluster the results table on domain.

Running the query for more than one user is indeed not much slower. That's what I need. I'm clustering the results table on domain right now. But why is this better than clustering it on "user"?

If you want the results for just one user, it would be very helpful to have a user column on the domain_categories table, and an index on that column. However, that will slow down the query for all users a little.

A row in domain_categories can belong to more than one user. But I don't need to run this query for only one user anyway.

Thanks so far,