Re: I/O on select count(*)

I just collected all the good internals information included in this thread and popped it onto http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Hint_Bits where I'll continue to hack away at the text until it's readable. Thanks to everyone who answered my questions here, that's good progress toward clearing up a very underdocumented area.

I note a couple of potential TODO items not on the official list yet that came up during this discussion:

-Smooth latency spikes when switching commit log pages by preallocating cleared pages before they are needed

-Improve bulk loading by setting "frozen" hint bits for tuple inserts which occur within the same database transaction as the creation of the table into which they're being inserted

Did I miss anything? I think everything brought up falls either into one of those two or the existing "Consider having the background writer update the transaction status hint bits..." TODO.

--
* Greg Smith gsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxx http://www.gregsmith.com Baltimore, MD