Re: Backup causing poor performance - suggestions

On Mon, 5 May 2008, Scott Marlowe wrote:

Other than that, you might wanna look at a faster / better RAID controller in the future. One with lots of battery backed cache set to write back.

Hopefully Lance's PERC 6/I SAS already has its battery installed. The 6/I with 256MB of cache is decent enough that I'm not sure getting a better controller would be a better investment than, say, adding more disks and splitting the database I/O usefully among them.

Upgrading to PG 8.3 comes to mind as another option I'd consider before getting desparate enough to add/swap controller cards, which is always a scary thing on production servers.

--
* Greg Smith gsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxx http://www.gregsmith.com Baltimore, MD