Re: What is the best way to storage music files in Postgresql

Rich wrote:
I am going to embarkon building a music library using apache,
postgresql and php.  What is the best way to store the music files?

Your options are either to use a BLOB within the database or to store paths to normal files in the file system in the database. I suspect using normal files will make backup and management a great deal easier than using in-database BLOBs, so personally I'd do it that way.

Storing the audio files in the database does make it easier to keep the database and file system backups in sync, but I'm not really sure that's worth the costs.

I'm sure that what you're doing has been done many times before, though, so even if you're not going to use one of the existing options you might at least want to have a look at how they work.

Which file type should I use?

I'm not sure I understand this question. Are you asking which audio compression codec and audio container file type (like "mp3", "aac", etc) you should use? If so, this is really not the right place to ask that.

Do you mean which file /system/ ?

--
Craig Ringer