Re: Benchmark: Dell/Perc 6, 8 disk RAID 10

----- Original Message ----- From: "Greg Smith" <gsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pgsql-performance@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, March 13, 2008 4:27 PM
Subject: Re:  Benchmark: Dell/Perc 6, 8 disk RAID 10

On Thu, 13 Mar 2008, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

Greg Smith <gsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
wal_sync_method = open_sync

There was a bug report I haven't had a chance to investigate yet that
suggested some recent Linux versions have issues when using
open_sync. I'd suggest popping that back to the default for now
unless you have time to really do a long certification process that
your system runs reliably with it turned on.

Well the default would be ugly, that's fsync, fdatasync is probably a
better choice in that case.

I haven't found fdatasync to be significantly better in my tests on Linux but I never went out of my way to try and quantify it. My understanding is that some of the write barrier implementation details on ext3 filesystems make any sync call a relatively heavy operation but I haven't poked at the code yet to figure out why.

There are really some substantial gains for WAL-heavy loads under Linux just waiting for someone to dig into this more. For example, I have a little plan sitting here to allow opening the WAL files with noatime even if the rest of the filesystem can't be mounted that way, which would collapse one of the big reasons to use a separate WAL disk.

--
* Greg Smith gsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxx http://www.gregsmith.com Baltimore, MD

I'm ran pgbench from my laptop to the new server

My laptop is dual core with 2 gigs of ram and 1 gig enthernet connection to server. so i don't think the network is going to be a problem in the test.

When i look at the server memory its only consuming 463 megs. I have the effective cache set at 12 gigs and sharebuffer at 100megs and work mem set to 50megs

transaction type: TPC-B (sort of)
scaling factor: 100
number of clients: 1
number of transactions per client: 10
number of transactions actually processed: 10/10

transaction type: TPC-B (sort of)
scaling factor: 100
number of clients: 10
number of transactions per client: 10
number of transactions actually processed: 100/100

transaction type: TPC-B (sort of)
scaling factor: 100
number of clients: 10
number of transactions per client: 100
number of transactions actually processed: 1000/1000

transaction type: TPC-B (sort of)
scaling factor: 100
number of clients: 40
number of transactions per client: 1000
number of transactions actually processed: 40000/40000