Re: migration of 7.4 to 8.1

david@xxxxxxx wrote:
On Wed, 12 Mar 2008, sathiya psql wrote:

In the home page itself they were saying .... testing ... unstable....

you are talking about the debian home page right?

then we should not use that for live.....

so i prefer 8.1 .........

Debian selected the version of Postgres for Etch about a year and a half ago. At that point selecting 8.1 was a resonable choice.

Debian has a policy that they will never change the version number of a package in a stable release (they will backport many bugfixes, but not upgrade the version)

As a result 2 years from now when Postgres is on 8.5 stable (and looking at 8.6), Debian Etch will still be on 8.1

I like that with debian I can install multiple postgres versions and it handles everything for me :) Changing the default port, config files are in different folders, different start up scripts.. all works very nicely :)

Which means you can have 8.1 installed and 8.3 installed at the same time - both from packages, no compiling etc necessary - and can switch between them very easily.

--
Postgresql & php tutorials
http://www.designmagick.com/