Re: count * performance issue

Craig James wrote:

My question is: What do the other databases do that Postgres can't do, and why not?

Count() on Oracle and MySQL is almost instantaneous, even for very large tables. So why can't Postgres do what they do?

I think Mysql can only do that for the myisam engine - innodb and falcon are similar to Postgres.

I don't believe Oracle optimizes bare count(*) on a table either - tho it may be able to use a suitable index (if present) to get the answer quicker.

regards

Mark