Re: Bypassing useless ORDER BY in a VIEW

On 2008-02-28 09:13, Tom Lane wrote:
A rule of thumb is that ORDER BY in a view is bad design, IMHO.

			regards, tom lane

I was surprised to find out that apparently it's also a PostgreSQL extension; standard SQL apparently disallows ORDER BY in VIEWs:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_by_(SQL)

When I found this out, I removed all the ORDER BYs from my VIEWs (which had been there for the convenience of subsequent SELECTs).

Of course, where ORDER BY in a VIEW is really helpful, is with OFFSET and/or LIMIT clauses (which are also PostgreSQL extensions), which is equivalent to what you point out.