store A LOT of 3-tuples for comparisons

Hi,

I need to store a lot of 3-tuples of words (e.g. "he", "can", "drink"), order matters!
The source is about 4 GB of these 3-tuples.
I need to store them in a table and check whether one of them is already stored, and if that's the case to increment a column named "count" (or something).

I thought of doing all the inserts without having an index and without doing the check whether the row is already there. After that I'd do a "group by" and count(*) on that table. Is this a good idea?

I don't know much about Pgs data types. I'd try to use the varchar type. But maybe there is a better data type?
What kind of index should I use?

This is for a scientific research.

Thanks in advance

moritz