Re: 4s query want to run faster

Scott Marlowe wrote:

effective_cache_size is pretty easy to set, and it's not real
sensitive to small changes, so guesstimation is fine where it's
concerned.  Basically, let your machine run for a while, then  add the
cache and buffer your unix kernel has altogether (top and free will
tell you these things).  If you're running other apps on the server,
make a SWAG (scientific wild assed guess) how much the other apps are
pounding on the kernel cache / buffer and set effective_cache_size to
how much you think postgresql is using of the total and set it to
that.

FWIW - The buffered|cached may well be called something different if you are not on Linux (I didn't see any platform mentioned - sorry if I missed it) - e.g for Freebsd it is "Inactive" that shows what the os is caching and "Cached" actually means something slightly different... (yep that's caused a lot of confusion in the past...)

Cheers

Mark

      match