Re: Disable WAL completely

On Feb 18, 2008, at 3:32 AM, hubert depesz lubaczewski wrote:

On Mon, Feb 18, 2008 at 03:00:47PM +0530, Kathirvel, Jeevanandam wrote:
	Is there way to minimize the I/O operation on disk/CF.
	Can I create RAM file system and point the pg_xlog files to RAM
location instead of CF.  whether this will work?

it will, but in case you'll lost power you will also (most probably)
loose your database.

Right. Without the xlog directory you'll have very little chance of ever doing any kind of clean stop/start of your database. If you don't need the reliability offered by Postgres's use of transaction logs you'll probably be much better served with a different database or even a completely different storage scheme than trying to make Postgres fit that bill.

Erik Jones

DBA | Emma®
erik@xxxxxxxxxx
800.595.4401 or 615.292.5888