Re: Benchmark Data requested --- pgloader CE design ideas

On Thu, 7 Feb 2008, Dimitri Fontaine wrote:

I was thinking of not even reading the file content from the controller
thread, just decide splitting points in bytes (0..ST_SIZE/4 -
ST_SIZE/4+1..2*ST_SIZE/4 etc) and let the reading thread fine-tune by
beginning to process input after having read first newline, etc.

The problem I was pointing out is that if chunk#2 moved foward a few bytes before it started reading in search of a newline, how will chunk#1 know that it's supposed to read up to that further point? You have to stop #1 from reading further when it catches up with where #2 started. Since the start of #2 is fuzzy until some reading is done, what you're describing will need #2 to send some feedback to #1 after they've both started, and that sounds bad to me. I like designs where the boundaries between threads are clearly defined before any of them start and none of them ever talk to the others.

In both cases, maybe it would also be needed for pgloader to be able to have a
separate thread for COPYing the buffer to the server, allowing it to continue
preparing next buffer in the meantime?

That sounds like a V2.0 design to me. I'd only chase after that level of complexity if profiling suggests that's where the bottleneck really is.

--
* Greg Smith gsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxx http://www.gregsmith.com Baltimore, MD

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend