Re: Postgres 8.2 memory weirdness

On Fri, 25 Jan 2008, Tory M Blue wrote:

I doubled the checkpoint segments yesterday and have not seen any
warnings. Will run with segments of 100 for a while and see how things
look.. Anyway to make sure that there is not a number between 50 and
100 that makes more sense?

More segments means more disk space taken up with them and a longer crash recovery. Those are the downsides; if you can live with those there's no reason to run at <100 if that works for you. Fine-tuning here isn't really that helpful.

I'm a little confused by your report through because you should still be seeing regular checkpoint warnings if you set checkpoint_warning = 3600s , they should just be spaced further apart.

--
* Greg Smith gsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxx http://www.gregsmith.com Baltimore, MD

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend