Re: Simple select, but takes long time

"James DeMichele" <James.DeMichele@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> I am having a really hard time trying to figure out why my simple
> count(*) query is taking so long. I have a table with 1,296,070 rows in
> it. There are 2 different types of information that each row has that I
> care about:

Hmm, the EXPLAIN output works out to about 5 msec per row, which is not
too out of line for a lot of random-access disk fetches.  I'm surprised
the planner bothered with an indexscan for this --- I'd bet a seqscan
might be faster, seeing you're having to read about 1% of the rows which
will likely touch most pages of the table anyway.  Or a bitmap indexscan
might be even better.  What do you get if you try the EXPLAIN ANALYZE
with enable_indexscan = off?

			regards, tom lane

       match