Re: More shared buffers causes lower performances

On Wed, 26 Dec 2007, Guillaume Smet wrote:

beta RPMs are by default compiled with --enable-debug and
--enable-cassert which doesn't help them to fly fast...

Got that right. Last time I was going crazy after running pgbench with those options and not having realized what I changed, I was getting a 50% slowdown on results that way compared to without the debugging stuff. Didn't realize it scaled with shared_buffers though.

Really sorry for the noise

Nothing to be sorry for, I know I wasn't aware the beta RPMs were compiled that way. Probably need to put a disclaimer about that fact *somewhere*. It's unfortunate for you, but I know I'm glad you run into it rather than someone who wouldn't have followed through to figure out the cause.

--
* Greg Smith gsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxx http://www.gregsmith.com Baltimore, MD

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend