Re: With 4 disks should I go for RAID 5 or RAID 10

On Wed, 26 Dec 2007, Mark Mielke wrote:

Florian Weimer wrote:
seek/read/calculate/seek/write since the drive moves on after the
read), when you read you must read _all_ drives in the set to check
the data integrity.

I don't know of any RAID implementation that performs consistency
checking on each read operation. 8-(

Dave had too much egg nog... :-)

Yep - checking consistency on read would eliminate the performance benefits of RAID under any redundant configuration.

except for raid0, raid is primarily a reliability benifit, any performance benifit is incidental, not the primary purpose.

that said, I have heard of raid1 setups where it only reads off of one of the drives, but I have not heard of higher raid levels doing so.

David Lang

      match