Re: Limited performance on multi core server

Matthew Lunnon wrote:
Hi Sven,

Does this mean that one option I have is to use a multi core Intel based server instead of an AMD based server?

Wow... hold on.

I remember that I also an issue with AMD Opterons before Pg 8.1
There is a specific Opteron behaviour on shared memory locks which adds
a extra "penalty" during the execution time for Pg code before 8.1.

I would like to see some proof of this.

I can you provide my patch for Pg 8.0 which should be adaptable for Pg
7.4 if you can compile PostgreSQL.

The real answer here is to upgrade to 8.1.10 or 8.2.5. 64bit if you can.

I have a 4 * dual core 64bit AMD OPTERON server with 16G of RAM, running
postgres 7.4.3.  This has been recompiled on the server for 64 stored
procedure parameters, (I assume this makes postgres 64 bit but are not

This type of machine, assuming you have decent IO available will generally be very fast with anything >= 8.1.

changes to postgresql.sql:

max_connections = 500
shared_buffers = 96000

Way to high for 7.4. Way to low for 8.1 or above (based on what you mention your work load is)

sort_mem = 10240

Based on your specs this actually may be fine but I would suggest reviewing it after you upgrade.

effective_cache_size = 1000000

Again, too low for 8.1 or above.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake