Re: Limited performance on multi core server

On Wed, 12 Dec 2007, Matthew Lunnon wrote:

I have a 4 * dual core 64bit AMD OPTERON server with 16G of RAM, running postgres 7.4.3.
shared_buffers = 96000

As you've already been told repeatedly 7.4 is a release from long before optimizations to work well on a multi-core server like this. I'll only add that because of those problems, larger values of shared_buffers were sometimes counter-productive with these old versions. You should try reducing that to the 10,000-50000 range and see if things improve; that's the general range that was effective with 7.4. Continue to set effective_cache_size to a large value so that the optimizer knows how much RAM is really available.

--
* Greg Smith gsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxx http://www.gregsmith.com Baltimore, MD