Re: database tuning

kelvan wrote:
hi i need to know all the database overhead sizes and block header sizes etc etc as I have a very complex database to build and it needs to be speed tuned beyond reckoning

[snip]

I am using postgres 8.1 if anyone can post links to pages containing over head information and index block header information it would be most appreciated as I cannot seem to find anything

I'd look to the source if you care that strongly. Don't rely on any info found on the internet unless it explicitly mentions 8.1 - these things change. Have a look in "backend/storage/" and "backend/access/" I'd guess (not a hacker myself).

Some thoughts though:
1. If you care that strongly about performance, start building it with 8.3

2. Does your testing show that index storage overheads are/will be a problem? If not, I'd concentrate on the testing to make sure you've identified the bottlenecks first.

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd