Re: RAID arrays and performance

On Tue, 4 Dec 2007, Mark Mielke wrote:

This is bikeshed land, right?
I am only interested by juicy projects that have a hope of success. This subject does interest me - I am hoping my devil's advocate participation encourages people to seek a practical implementation that will benefit me.

Nah, you're both in bikeshed land. Ultimately this feature is going to get built out in a way that prioritizes as much portability as is possible while minimizing the impact on existing code. The stated PostgreSQL bias is that async-I/O is not worth the trouble until proven otherwise: http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faqs.FAQ_DEV.html#item1.14

That's why Greg Stark is busy with low-level tests of I/O options while you're arguing much higher level details. Until you've got some benchmarks in this specific area to go by, you can talk theory all day and not impact what implementation will actually get built one bit.

As an example of an area you've already brought up where theory and benchmarks clash violently, the actual situation with NCQ on SATA drives has been heavily blurred because of how shoddy some manufacturer's NCQ implementation are. Take a look at the interesting thread on this topic at http://lkml.org/lkml/2007/4/3/159 to see what I'm talking about. Even if you have an NCQ drive, and a version of Linux that supports it, and you've setup everything up right, you can still end up with unexpected performance regressions under some circumstances. It's still the wild west with that technology.

--
* Greg Smith gsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxx http://www.gregsmith.com Baltimore, MD

               http://www.postgresql.org/about/donate