Re: Query only slow on first run

I'm wondering why --- doesn't seem like it should take 6400msec to fetch
646 rows, unless perhaps the data is just horribly misordered relative
to the index.   Which may in fact be the case ...

Hmm, actually I still don't understand why it takes 6400 ms to fetch the rows. As far as I can see the index used is "covering" so that real row lookups shouldn't be necessary. Also, only the the random_numbers induces by questions with status = 1 should be considered - and this part is a relatively small subset.

In general, I don't understand why the query is so I/O dependant as it apparently is.

              http://archives.postgresql.org