Re: dell versus hp

On Fri, 9 Nov 2007, Scott Marlowe wrote:

Not atm. Until new benchmarks are published comparing AMD's new
quad-core with Intel's ditto, Intel has the edge.
http://tweakers.net/reviews/657/6

For 8 cores, it appears AMD has the lead, read this (stolen from
another thread):
http://people.freebsd.org/~kris/scaling/7.0%20Preview.pdf

This issue isn't simple, and it may be the case that both conclusions are correct in their domain but testing slightly different things. The sysbench test used by the FreeBSD benchmark is a much simpler than what the tweakers.net benchmark simulates.

Current generation AMD and Intel processors are pretty close in performance, but guessing which will work better involves a complicated mix of both CPU and memory issues. AMD's NUMA architecture does some things better, and Intel's memory access takes a second hit in designs that use FB-DIMMs. But Intel has enough of an advantage on actual CPU performance and CPU caching that current designs are usually faster regardless.

For an interesting look at the low-level details here, the current mainstream parts are compared at http://techreport.com/articles.x/11443/13 and a similar comparison for the just released quad-core Opterons is at http://techreport.com/articles.x/13176/12

Nowadays Intel vs. AMD is tight enough that I don't even worry about that part in the context of a database application (there was still a moderate gap when the Tweakers results were produced a year ago). On a real server, I'd suggest being more worried about how good the disk controller is, what the expansion options are there, and relative $/core. In the x86/x64 realm, I don't feel CPU architecture is a huge issue right now when you're running a database.

--
* Greg Smith gsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxx http://www.gregsmith.com Baltimore, MD

              http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq