Re: Need to run CLUSTER to keep performance

Rafael Martinez wrote:
Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
On a small table like that you could run VACUUM every few minutes
without much impact on performance. That should keep the table size in
check.

Ok, we run VACUUM ANALYZE only one time a day, every night. But we would
espect the performance to get ok again after running vacuum, and it
doesn't. Only CLUSTER helps.

If the table is already bloated, a VACUUM won't usually shrink it. It only makes the space available for reuse, but a sequential scan still needs to go through a lot of pages.

CLUSTER on the other hand repacks the tuples and gets rid of all the unused space on pages. You need to run CLUSTER or VACUUM FULL once to shrink the relation, but after that frequent-enough VACUUMs should keep the table size down.

--
  Heikki Linnakangas