Re: [HACKERS] 8.3beta1 testing on Solaris

I agree with Tom.. somehow I think increasing NUM_CLOG_BUFFERS is just avoiding the symptom to a later value.. I promise to look more into it before making any recommendations to increase NUM_CLOG_BUFFERs.

Because though "iGen" showed improvements in that area by increasing num_clog_buffers , EAStress had shown no improvements.. Plus the reason I think this is not the problem in 8.3beta1 since the Lock Output clearly does not show CLOGControlFile as to be the issue which I had seen in earlier case. So I dont think that increasing NUM_CLOG_BUFFERS will change thing here.

Now I dont understand the code pretty well yet I see three hotspots and not sure if they are related to each other * ProcArrayLock waits - causing Waits as reported by 83_lockwait.d script * SimpleLRUReadPage - causing read IOs as reported by iostat/rsnoop.d
* GetSnapshotData - causing CPU utilization  as reported by hotuser

But I will shut up and do more testing.

Regards,
Jignesh

Tom Lane wrote:
Josh Berkus <josh@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
Actually, 32 made a significant difference as I recall ... do you still have the figures for that, Jignesh?

I'd want to see a new set of test runs backing up any call for a change
in NUM_CLOG_BUFFERS --- we've changed enough stuff around this area that
benchmarks using code from a few months back shouldn't carry a lot of
weight.

			regards, tom lane