Re: Huge amount of memory consumed during transaction

On Oct 12, 2007, at 4:09 PM, henk de wit wrote:

> It looks to me like you have work_mem set optimistically large. This
> query seems to be doing *many* large sorts and hashes:

I have work_mem set to 256MB. Reading in PG documentation I now realize that "several sort or hash operations might be running in parallel". So this is most likely the problem, although I don't really understand why memory never seems to increase for any of the other queries (not executed in a transaction). Some of these are at least the size of the query that is giving problems.

Wow.  That's inordinately high.  I'd recommend dropping that to 32-43MB.

Btw, is there some way to determine up front how many sort or hash operations will be running in parallel for a given query?

Explain is your friend in that respect.

Erik Jones

Software Developer | Emma®
erik@xxxxxxxxxx