Partitioning in postgres - basic question

Hi,

I am new to postgres having worked with Oracle in the past. I am interested
in understanding Postgres's table partition functionality better.
Specifically, I have a third party application running against my postgres
database, but the database is becoming rather large to maintain. I am
thinking about partitioning the biggest table.

Would I be able to set-up partitioning on this table with it being seemless
to the third party app (assuming that it performs pretty standard DML
statements against the table in question)?

Thanks
Tore

TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster