Re: SAN vs Internal Disks

On Sep 6, 2007, at 2:42 PM, Scott Marlowe wrote:

I'd recommend against Dell unless you're at a company that orders
computers by the hundred lot.  My experience with Dell has been that
unless you are a big customer you're just another number (a small one
at that) on a spreadsheet.

I order maybe 5-6 servers per year from dell, and the sales rep knows me when I call him. Just set up a business account.

That said, lately I've been buying Sun X4100's for my DB servers. These machines are built like tanks and extremely fast. The only difficulty is hooking up disks to them. The only sane choice is to use a fibre channel card to an external array. The only dual-channel internal SCSI RAID controller that fits is an Adaptec model, and it is to be avoided.

TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster