Re: SAN vs Internal Disks

On 6-9-2007 14:35 Harsh Azad wrote:
2x Quad Xeon 2.4 Ghz (4-way only 2 populated right now)

I don't understand this sentence. You seem to imply you might be able to fit more processors in your system? Currently the only Quad Core's you can buy are dual-processor processors, unless you already got a quote for a system that yields the new Intel "Tigerton" processors. I.e. if they are clovertown's they are indeed Intel Core-architecture processors, but you won't be able to fit more than 2 in the system and get 8 cores in a system. If they are Tigerton, I'm a bit surprised you got a quote for that, although HP seems to offer a system for those. If they are the old dual-core MP's (70xx or 71xx), you don't want those...

32 GB RAM
OS Only storage - 2x SCSI 146 GB 15k RPM on RAID-1
(Data Storage mentioned below)

I doubt you need 15k-rpm drives for OS... But that won't matter much on the total cost.

HELP 1: Does something look wrong with above configuration, I know there will be small differences b/w opetron/xeon. But do you think there is something against going for 2.4Ghz Quad Xeons (clovertown i think)?

Apart from your implication that you may be able to stick more processors in it: no, not to me. Two Quad Core Xeons were even faster than 8 dual core opterons in our benchmarks, although that might also indicate limited OS-, postgres or underlying I/O-scaling. Obviously the new AMD Barcelona-line of processors (coming next week orso) and the new Intel Quad Core's DP (Penryn?) and MP (Tigerton) may be interesting to look at, I don't know how soon systems will be available with those processors (HP seems to offer a tigerton-server).

B: Go for Internal of DAS based storage. Here for each server we should be able to have: 2x disks on RAID-1 for logs, 6x disks on RAID-10 for tablespace1 and 6x disks on RAID-10 for tablespace2. Or maybe 12x disks on RAID-10 single table-space.

You don't necessarily need to use internal disks for DAS, since you can also link an external SAS-enclosure either with or without an integrated raid-controller (IBM, Sun, Dell, HP and others have options for that), and those are able to be expanded to either multiple enclosures tied to eachother or to a controller in the server. Those may also be usable in a warm-standby-scenario and may be quite a bit cheaper than FC-hardware.

But for a moment keeping these aside, i wanted to discuss, purely on performance side which one is a winner? It feels like internal-disks will perform better, but need to understand a rough magnitude of difference in performance to see if its worth loosing the manageability features.

As said, you don't necessarily need real internal disks, since SAS can be used with external enclosures as well, still being DAS. I have no idea what difference you will or may see between those in terms of performance. It probably largely depends on the raid-controller available, afaik the disks will be mostly the same. And it might depend on your available bandwidth, external SAS offers you a 4port-connection allowing for a 12Gbit-connection between a disk-enclosure and a controller. While - as I understand it - even expensive SAN-controllers only offer dual-ported, 8Gbit connections? What's more important is probably the amount of disks and raid-cache you can buy in the SAN vs DAS-scenario. If you can buy 24 disks when going for DAS vs only 12 whith SAN...

But then again, I'm no real storage expert, we only have two Dell MD1000 DAS-units at our site.

Best regards and good luck,

Arjen

              http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq