Re: Performance on 8CPU's and 32GB of RAM

On 9/4/07, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Carlo Stonebanks wrote:
> > A client is moving their postgresql db to a brand new Windows 2003 x64
> > server with 2 quad cores and 32GB of RAM. It is a dedicated server to run
> > 8.2.4.
>
> Large shared_buffers and Windows do not mix.  Perhaps you should leave
> the shmem config low, so that the kernel can cache the file pages.

Egads, I'd completely missed the word Windows up there.

I would highly recommend building the postgresql server on a unixish
OS.  Even with minimum tuning, I'd expect the same box running linux
or freebsd to stomp windows pretty heavily in the performance
department.

But yeah, the I/O, that's the big one.  If it's just a single or a
couple of IDE drives, it's not gonna be able to handle much load.

       match