Re: Hardware suggestions

christian.braun@xxxxxxxx writes:

sizes etc., I wondered about the hardware. Most things were about the I/O of harddisks, RAM and file system. Is the filesystem that relevant? Because wo want to stay at Ubuntu because of the software support, espacially for the GIS-Systems. I think we need at least about 300-500Gb for storage and the server you get for this price are about two dualcore 2.0 - 2.8 GHz Opterons.

I would suggest 8GB of RAM, 4 500GB (Seagate) drives in RAID10, a dual core CPU (AMD or Dual Core) and 3ware or Areca controller.

If you don't need a 1U case and you can use a tower case you should be able to get those specs within your budget.