Re: Weird 8.2.4 performance

Kurt Overberg wrote:
work_mem = 100MB # when I ran the original query, this was set to 1MB, increased on Mark Kirkwood's advice, seemed to help a bit but not really

For future reference, be careful with this parameter, as *every* connection will use this much memory for each sort or hash (i.e it's not shared and can be allocated several times by each connection!)...yeah, I know I suggested increasing it to see what effect it would have :-).

And I'd agree with Steiner and others, looks like caching effects are the cause of the timing difference between production and the mac!

Cheers

Mark