Re: VERY slow queries at random

Andrew Sullivan wrote:
On Wed, Jun 06, 2007 at 09:20:54PM +0200, Gunther Mayer wrote:
What the heck could cause such erratic behaviour? I suspect some type of
resource problem but what and how could I dig deeper?

Is something (perhaps implicitly) locking the table?  That will cause
this.
There are a whole bunch of update queries that fire all the time but afaik none of them ever lock the entire table. To the best of my knowledge UPDATE ... WHERE ... only locks those rows that it actually operates on, in my case this is always a single row. No explicit locking is done anywhere, but perhaps you're right and it is a locking issue. Question is, how do I find out about locks at the time when I only get told about the slow query *after* it has completed and postgres has told me so by logging a slow query entry in my logs?

Gunther