Re: ZFS and Postgresql - WASRe: Best OS for Postgres 8.2

But we still pay the penalty on WAL while writing them in the first place I guess .. Is there an option to disable it.. I can test how much is the impact I guess couple of %s but good to verify :-) )

Regards,
Jignesh

Alvaro Herrera wrote:
Jignesh Shah escribió:

Now comes the thing that I am still exploring
* Do we do checksum in WAL ? I guess we do .. Which means that we are now doing double checksumming on the data. One in ZFS and one in postgresql. ZFS does allow checksumming to be turned off (but on new blocks allocated). But of course the philosophy is where should it be done (ZFS or PostgreSQL).

Checksums on WAL are not optional in Postgres, because AFAIR they are
used to determine when it should stop recovering.