Re: Throttling PostgreSQL's CPU usage

On Tue, 8 May 2007, Carlos Moreno wrote:

Daniel Griscom wrote:

 Several people have mentioned having multiple processors; my current
 machine is a uni-processor machine, but I believe we could spec the actual
runtime machine to have multiple processors/cores.

My estimate is that yes, you should definitely consider that.

 I'm only running one query at a time; would that query be guaranteed to
 confine itself to a single processor/core?

From what Joshua mentions, looks like you do have that guarantee.

isn't there a way to limit how many processes postgres will create?

if this is limited to 1, what happens when a vaccum run hits (or autovaccum)

David Lang