Re: truncate a table instead of vaccum full when count(*) is 0

Pomarede Nicolas wrote:
There's not too much simultaneous transaction on the database, most of the time it shouldn't exceed one minute (worst case). Except, as I need to run a vacuum analyze on the whole database every day, it now takes 8 hours to do the vacuum (I changed vacuum values to be a little slower instead of taking too much i/o and making the base unusable, because with default vacuum values it takes 3-4 hours of high i/o usage (total base is 20 GB) ).

So, at this time, the complete vacuum is running, and vacuuming only the spool table gives all dead rows are currently not removable (which is normal).

Oh, I see. I know you don't want to upgrade, but that was changed in 8.2. Vacuum now ignores concurrent vacuums in the oldest xid calculation, so the long-running vacuum won't stop the vacuum on the spool table from removing dead rows.

--
  Heikki Linnakangas