Re: Best OS for Postgres 8.2

On Tue, 8 May 2007, Trygve Laugstøl wrote:

 currently ZFS is only available on Solaris, parts of it have been released
 under GPLv2, but it doesn't look like enough of it to be ported to Linux
 (enough was released for grub to be able to access it read-only, but not
 the full filesystem). there are also patent concerns that are preventing
 any porting to Linux.

This is not entirely correct. ZFS is only under the CDDL license and it has been ported to FreeBSD.

http://mail.opensolaris.org/pipermail/zfs-discuss/2007-April/026922.html

I wonder how they handled the license issues? I thought that if you combined stuff that was BSD licensed with stuff with a more restrictive license the result was under the more restrictive license. thanks for the info.

here's a link about the GPLv2 stuff for zfs

http://blogs.sun.com/darren/entry/zfs_under_gplv2_already_exists