Re: Feature Request --- was: PostgreSQL Performance Tuning

On Thu, 3 May 2007, Josh Berkus wrote:

Greg,

I'm not fooled--secretly you and your co-workers laugh at how easy this
is on Solaris and are perfectly happy with how difficult it is on Linux,
right?

Don't I wish.  There's issues with getting CPU info on Solaris, too, if you
get off of Sun Hardware to generic white boxes.  The base issue is that
there's no standardization on how manufacturers report the names of their
CPUs, 32/64bit, or clock speeds.   So any attempt to determine "how fast"
a CPU is, even on a 1-5 scale, requires matching against a database of
regexes which would have to be kept updated.

And let's not even get started on Windows.

I think the only sane way to try and find the cpu speed is to just do a busy loop of some sort (ideally something that somewhat resembles the main code) and see how long it takes. you may have to do this a few times until you get a loop that takes long enough (a few seconds) on a fast processor

David Lang