Re: Feature Request --- was: PostgreSQL Performance Tuning

On 4/28/07, Harald Armin Massa <haraldarminmassa@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
about your feature proposal: as I learned, nearly all
Perfomance.Configuration can be done by editing the .INI file and making the
Postmaster re-read it.

Um, shared_buffers is one of the most important initial parameters to
set and it most certainly cannot be set after startup.

So, WHY at all should those parameters be guessed at the installation of the
database?

Because a lot of good assumptions can be made on the initial install.
Likewise, some of the most important parameters cannot be tuned after
startup.

Maybe there is even a pointy flashy version possible (perhaps even for money
:) which gives nice graphics and "optimized", like those Windows Optimizers.
:)  I am sure, some DBAs in BIGCOMPs would be thrilled :)

I'd suggest that you not make snide remarks about someone else's
design when your own analysis is somewhat flawed.

--
Jonah H. Harris, Software Architect | phone: 732.331.1324
EnterpriseDB Corporation            | fax: 732.331.1301