Re: Question about memory allocations

I didn't notice anyone address this for you yet. There is a tool in contrib/pg_buffercache whose purpose in life is to show you what the shared buffer cache has inside it. The documentation in that directory leads through installing it. The additional variable you'll likely never know is what additional information is inside the operating system's buffer cache.

	Okay -- thanks!  I'll take a look at this.

# Leaving this low makes the DB complain, but I'm not sure what's # reasonable.
checkpoint_segments = 128

That's a reasonable setting for a large server. The main downside to setting it that high is longer recovery periods after a crash, but I doubt that's a problem for you if you're so brazen as to turn off fsync.

Hahaha yeah. It's 100% assumed that if something goes bad we're restoring from the previous day's backup. However because the DB is read only for -most- of the day and only read/write at night it's acceptable risk for us anyway. But good to know that's a reasonable value.

Steve