Re: Slow Postgresql server

On Thu, 12 Apr 2007, Scott Marlowe wrote:

On Thu, 2007-04-12 at 10:19, Guido Neitzer wrote:
On 12.04.2007, at 08:59, Ron wrote:

Depends. As I said - if the whole DB fits into the remaining space,
and a lot of website backend DBs do, it might just work out. But this
seems not to be the case - either the site is chewing on seq scans
all the time which will cause I/O or it is bound by the lack of
memory and swaps the whole time ... He has to find out.

It could also be something as simple as a very bloated data store.

I'd ask the user what vacuum verbose says at the end

You know, I should answer emails at night...we didn't ask when the last time the data was vacuumed or analyzed and I believe he indicated that the only non-default values were memory related, so no autovacuum running.

Jason,

Before you go any further, run 'vacuum analyze;' on your DB if you're not doing this with regularity and strongly consider enabling autovacuum.

--
Jeff Frost, Owner 	<jeff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Phone: 650-780-7908	FAX: 650-649-1954