Re: join to view over custom aggregate seems like it should be faster

On 4/9/07, Tom Lane <tgl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
"Merlin Moncure" <mmoncure@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
> I have an odd performance issue on 8.2 that I'd thought I'd document
> here.  I have a workaround, but I'm if there is something that I'm not
> seeing.

It's hard to comment on this without seeing the full details of the view
and tables.  I'm wondering where the SubPlans are coming from, for instance.

ah, it looks like the aggregate is being re-expanded for each field
returned by the aggregate.  I notice this for non-trivial record
returning functions also.  standard m.o. is to push into a subquery
and expand afterwords.

merlin