Re: SCSI vs SATA

On Thu, 5 Apr 2007, Ron wrote:

At 10:07 PM 4/5/2007, david@xxxxxxx wrote:
On Thu, 5 Apr 2007, Scott Marlowe wrote:

> Server class drives are designed with a longer lifespan in mind.
> > Server class hard drives are rated at higher temperatures than desktop
> drives.

these two I question.

David Lang
Both statements are the literal truth. Not that I would suggest abusing your server class HDs just because they are designed to live longer and in more demanding environments.

Overheating, nasty electrical phenomenon, and abusive physical shocks will trash a server class HD almost as fast as it will a consumer grade one.

The big difference between the two is that a server class HD can sit in a rack with literally 100's of its brothers around it, cranking away on server class workloads 24x7 in a constant vibration environment (fans, other HDs, NOC cooling systems) and be quite happy while a consumer HD will suffer greatly shortened life and die a horrible death in such a environment and under such use.

Ron,
I know that the drive manufacturers have been claiming this, but I'll say that my experiance doesn't show a difference and neither do the google and CMU studies (and they were all in large datacenters, some HPC labs, some commercial companies).

again the studies showed _no_ noticable difference between the 'enterprise' SCSI drives and the 'consumer' SATA drives.

David Lang