Re: SCSI vs SATA

david@xxxxxxx wrote:

for that matter, with 20ish 320G drives, how large would a parition be that only used the outer pysical track of each drive? (almost certinly multiple logical tracks) if you took the time to set this up you could eliminate seeking entirely (at the cost of not useing your capacity, but since you are considering a 12x range in capacity, it's obviously not your primary concern)

Good point: if 8x73GB in a RAID10 is an option, the database can't be larger than 292GB, or 1/12 the available space on the 320GB SATA version.

note that the CMU and Google studies both commented on being surprised at the lack of difference between the reliability of SCSI and SATA drives.

I'd read about the Google study's conclusions on the failure rate over time of drives; I hadn't gotten wind before of it comparing SCSI to SATA drives. I do wonder what their access patterns are like, and how that pertains to failure rates. I'd like to think that with smaller seeks (like in the many-big-SATAs-option) the life of the drives would be longer.

Oh, one big advantage of SATA over SCSI: simple cabling and no need for termination. Although SAS levels that particular playing field.

Cheers,
Geoff