Re: Equivalents in PostgreSQL of MySQL's "ENGINE=MEMORY" "MAX_ROWS=1000"

Hi Thor,

Thor-Michael Støre wrote:
On 2007-04-04 Arnau wrote:
Josh Berkus wrote:
Arnau,

Is there anything similar in PostgreSQL? The idea behind this
is how I can do in PostgreSQL to have tables where I can query
on them very often something like every few seconds and get
results very fast without overloading the postmaster.
If you're only querying the tables every few seconds, then you
don't really need to worry about performance.

Well, the idea behind this is to have events tables, and a
monitoring system polls that table every few seconds.  I'd like to
have a kind of FIFO stack. From "the events producer" point of view
he'll be pushing rows into that table, when it's filled the oldest
one will be removed to leave room to the newest one. From "the
consumer" point of view he'll read all the contents of that table.

So I'll not only querying the tables, I'll need to also modify that
tables.

Please try to refrain from doing this. This is the "Database as an
IPC" antipattern (Antipatterns are "commonly-reinvented bad solutions
to problems", I.E. you can be sure someone has tried this very thing
before and found it to be a bad solution)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Database_as_an_IPC

Best solution is (like Ansgar hinted at) to use a real IPC system.

Ofcourse, I've done it myself (not on PostgreSQL though) when working
at a large corporation where corporate politics prevented me from
introducing any new interdependency between systems (like having two
start talking with eachother when they previously didn't), the only
"common ground" for systems that needed to communicate was a
database, and one of the systems was only able to run simple SQL
statements and not stored procedures.

First of all, thanks for your interested but let me explain what I need to do.

We have a web application where customers want to monitor how it's performing, but not performing in terms of speed but how many customers are now browsing in the application, how many have payed browsing sessions, how many payments have been done, ... More or less is to have a control panel. The difference is that they want that the information displayed on a web browser must be "real-time" that is a query every 1-10 seconds.

Then, I haven't read yet the article but I'll do it, how you'd do what I need to do?

Thanks
--
Arnau