Re: Performance of count(*)

Craig A. James wrote:

One of our biggest single problems is this very thing. It's not a Postgres problem specifically, but more embedded in the idea of a relational database: There are no "job status" or "rough estimate of results" or "give me part of the answer" features that are critical to many real applications.

For the "give me part of the answer", I'm wondering if cursors wouldn't work (and if not, why not)?

Brian