Re: SATA RAID: Promise vs. 3ware

On 20-Mar-07, at 1:53 PM, Benjamin Arai wrote:

This is a little biased but I would stay away from areca only because they have fans on the card. At some point down the line that card is going to die. When it does there is really no telling what it will do to your data. I personally use 3Ware cards, they work well but I have had one die before (1/10).

Well, they are also the only one of the bunch that I am aware of that will sell you 1G of cache. Plus if you use battery backup sooner or later you have to replace the batteries. I use areca all the time and I've never had a fan die, but I admit it is a point of failure.

Dave