Question about PGSQL functions

Hey there :)

I'm re-writing a summarization process that used to be very 'back and forth' intensive (i.e. very chatty between my summarization software and the DB). I'm trying to reduce that by practically reducing all this back and forth to a single SQL query, but in order to support certain complexities it looks to me like I'm going to have to write some postgres C language functions.

This is something I'm actually familiar with and have done before, but let me describe what I'm trying to do here so I can be sure that this is the right thing to do, and to be sure I do it correctly and don't cause memory leaks :)

---

I have two columns, one called "procedure_code" and the other called "wrong_procedure_code" in my summary table. These are both of type varchar(32) I believe or possibly text -- if it matters I can double check but because all the involved columns are the same type and size it shouldn't matter. :)

These are actually populated by the "procedure_code" and "corrected_procedure_code" in the source table. The logic is, basically:

IF  strlen(source.corrected_procedure_code)
THEN:
  summary.procedure_code=source.corrected_procedure_code
  summary.wrong_procedure_code=source.procedure_code
ELSE:
  summary.procedure_code=source.procedure_code
  summary.wrong_procedure_code=NULL

Simple, right? Making a C function to handle this should be no sweat -- I would basically split this logic into two separate functions, one to populate summary.procedure_code and one to populate summary.wrong_procedure_code, and it removes the need of having any sort of back and forth between the program and DB... I can just do like:

update summary_table
 set procedure_code=pickCorrect(source.procedure_code,
                                 source.corrected_procedure_code),
     wrong_procedure_code=pickWrong(source.procedure_code,
                                 source.corrected_procedure_code),....
 from source where summary_table.source_id=source.source_id;

Make sense?  So question 1, is this the good way to do all this?

Question 2: Assuming it is the good way to do all this, would this function be correct assuming I did all the other stuff right (like PG_FUNCTION_INFO_V1, etc.):

Datum pickCorrect(PG_FUNCTION_ARGS){
	text*	procedure_code=PG_GETARG_TEXT_P(0);
	text*	corrected_code=PG_GETARG_TEXT_P(1);

	if(VARSIZE(corrected_code)-VARHDRSZ){
		PG_RETURN_TEXT_P(corrected_code);
	}else{
		PG_RETURN_TEXT_P(procedure_code);
	}
}

Would that simply work because I'm not actually modifying the data, or would I have to pmalloc a separate chunk of memory, copy the data, and return the newly allocated memory because the memory allocated for the args "goes away" or gets corrupted or something otherwise?

Thanks a lot for the info!

Steve