Re: Any advantage to integer vs stored date w. timestamp

Zoolin Lin wrote:
thanks for your reply

Primary table is all integers like:

date id | num1 | num2 | num3 | num4 | num5 | num6 | num7 | num 8 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 primary key is on date to num->6 columns

What types are num1->8?

They are all integer

Hmm - not sure if you'd get any better packing if you could make some
int2 and put them next to each other. Need to test.

date_id | date w timestamp ----------------------------------------
1 | 2007-2-15 Midnight 2         | 2007-2-15 1 am 3         |
2007-2-15 2 am  etc for 24 hours each day

If you only want things accurate to an hour, you could lost the
join and just store it as an int: 2007021500, 2007021501 etc.

Hmm yeh I could, I think with the amount of data in the db though it
behooves me to use one of the date types, even if via lookup table.

You can always create it as a custom ZLDate type. All it really needs to be is an int with a few casts.

So I guess I'm just not sure if I'm really gaining anything by using
an integer  date id column and doing a join on a date lookup table,
vs just making it a date w. timestamp column and having duplicate
dates in that column.

I would imagine internally that the date w. timestamp is stored as
perhaps a time_t type  plus some timezone information. I don't know
if it takes that much more space, or there's a significant
performance penalty in using it

It's a double or int64 I believe, so allow 8 bytes instead of 4 for your int.

2,500 rows per hour, with duplicate date columns, seems like it could
add up though.

Well, let's see 2500*24*365 = 21,900,000 * 4 bytes extra = 83MB additional storage over a year. Not sure it's worth worrying about.

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd