Re: increasing database connections

Joshua D. Drake wrote:
Jonah H. Harris wrote:
On 3/1/07, Shiva Sarna <shivasarna@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I am sorry if it is a repeat question but I want to know if database
performance will decrease if I increase the max-connections to 2000. At
present it is 100.
Most certainly.  Adding connections over 200 will degrade performance
dramatically.  You should look into pgpool or connection pooling from
the application.

huh? That is certainly not my experience. I have systems that show no
depreciable performance hit on even 1000+ connections. To be fair to the
discussion, these are on systems with 4+ cores. Usually 8+ and
significant ram 16/32 gig fo ram.

Yeah - I thought that somewhere closer to 10000 connections is where you get hit with socket management related performance issues.

Cheers

Mark